HD (heat defiant) wigs and toppers are a great option for women who are wanting the option to heat style but are not quite ready to invest in human hair.
HD wigs and toppers can be styled at a medium heat so can be blow-dryed, straightened, curled and waved or simply left as they are and enjoyed as is.
We get asked lots of questions about HD wigs and toppers so I thought I would write up a quick blog post with some of the pros and cons of this fibre type as well as a few tips and tricks that will help you get the most out of your new HD wig/toppers.
Pros with HD fibre wigs and toppers
- You can wash and leave your HD wig or topper to air dry naturally and the style will bounce right back for you just like with a synthetic wig or topper.
- Friction in HD fibre can be removed easily using your hair straighteners on a medium heat.
- You can use a medium heat to change the shape and style of HD fibre without worrying about damaging it.
- You can once again open the oven door with no fear of a singed wig!
Cons of HD fibre wigs and toppers
- HD fibre is heavier per strand compared to most high quality synthetic fibres which results in the whole style feeling a little heavier.
- HD fibre catches the friction faster than synthetic fibre tends to.
- Styling HD fibre is different to heat styling human hair so it can take a little time to get used to it.
Tips to keeping your HD fibre wig or topper looking and feeling great
- Use a conditioning or anti-static spray on your HD wig or topper daily. This helps to protect the fibre and keep it as soft and supple as possible.
- Wash your HD wig or topper using a shampoo that is specifically designed to synthetic fibre.
- Wash your HD wig or topper every 7-10 wears to avoid the fibre becoming sticky through grease and sweat build up.
- As soon as you notice friction building up on the ends of the HD fibre, section it out using a clip and slowly run your hair straighteners through the affected area/s to smooth back down. Use a low to medium heat.
Tips to help with styling your HD wig or topper
- If you are wanting to curl your HD wig or topper using curling tongs then make sure to catch the curl as you release it from the tongs and either pin or hold in your hand for a few seconds (this allows it to cool) before releasing the curl. Doing this ensures the curls actually stays in the fibre. If you release it right away the HD fibre will fall straight again.
- Heated rollers are a great way to add waves, curls or even just a little bit of extra body to your HD wig or topper. Simply roll in the warm rollers and secure and then leave them to cool completely. This usually takes around 20-30 minutes. Un-roll the rollers and run your fingers through and you’re good to go!
- When using straighteners to style your HD wig or topper please do be mindful of your positioning as simply running the hot irons through will make the fibre go very VERY straight.
I hope you found today’s blog helpful! If you have an tips to add or have any questions at all then please feel free to leave a comment below 😊