New wig anxiety - It's a real thing! - My top tips ...
New wig anxiety is a real thing.
Often, women who come and see me at aspire hair feel like the hardest part in finding a new wig is actually finding the right wig. Don’t get me wrong, this can sometimes be tricky.
There are so many different wigs available today that all the choice can get overwhelming and confusing.
Lace fronts, mono tops, hand-tied, machine made, silk tops, double layered, double lined ..... It’s enough to make anyones head spin.
Where the anxiety can really start to creep in is after you go home with your new wig and then it suddenly hits you that you actually have to go out in it!
Will people know?
Will they stare?
Will it slip off?
Will the wind whip it away causing it to tumble down the busy high street whilst your husband is frantically chasing after it because, well let’s be fair, good wigs aren’t bloody cheap these days!?
Well, first things first I have two words to say to you. GRIP and BAND. The grip band should be in every hair wearers tool box so if you don’t have one, get one here.
Secondly I want to let you in on a little secret. Almost every single women who we meet in the aspire shop will at some point experience new wig anxiety even women who have been wearing hair for years but have decided to try a new style.
It may sound strange when you read this but it’s totally true ... Your wig will very quickly become a part of you. You will stop calling it your wig and you will soon be calling it your hair. It is your hair. You bought and paid for it. It’s yours. End of story.
To help you a little I have put together some suggestions below on how you can dip your toe in the waters of outdoor hair wearing adventures and start to slowly ease yourself in to wearing your new hair out and about without feeling completely terrified.
- • If it’s a cool crisp day then try wearing a pretty hat over your wig on your first outing. You’ll feel a little more secure (mentally) thanks to the hat being in place on top of your wig.
- • Plan your first outing to your local co-op or small store so you know you can make a quick exit should you start to feel overwhelmed.
- • Practise accepting new hair compliments. If you receive a compliments from someone who doesn’t know about your hair loss then learn to accept it and say “thank you”. You don’t need to explain yourself or your hair if you don’t want to.
- • If it’s a warm day try putting on an alice band or tying a mini maxi scarf around the perimeter of your wig. You can create some really pretty looks and match the alice band/mine maxi scarf to your outfit if you’d like.
- • Go and visit a drive through! This tip is great for us ladies who suffer from anxiety in general as it gets us out of the house and we get to drink delicious costa coffee and/or eat some yummy food at the same time.
- • Go over to a friends house for coffee and a chat.
- • Take a walk with your dog/kids/partner/friend/sister/brother/aunt/uncle ... anyone!
- • Book a table in your favourite restaurant and enjoy your favourite meal and a couple of glasses of wine.
- • Make your first outing something to celebrate. There aint no stopping you once you’ve got your confidence back up lovely lady!
Mostly importantly, give yourself some grace. You are going through many changes right now and one failed outing attempt in your new wig doesn’t make you a failure or weak. We all deal with things in our own time and in our own ways so always give yourself a massive hug at the end of the day for showing up and trying.
You can do this! I believe in you.